To move abroad with children may not be on anyone’s mind right now, but for parents who live abroad, returning to their “home country” from a new country after a marriage breakup may seem like the only option. However, adding a global component could make the already challenging decision of where and with whom to place the child much more difficult.

If you want to take your child out of the UK and want to move abroad, you must get permission to relocate and consent of the other parent. In the event that they decline, a court application must be made to obtain the permission of the court and authorization to migrate with the child outside of the UK.

The well-being of the child is the most important factor to take into account while deciding whether to move abroad with a child. The court will conduct a welfare evaluation and evaluate the feelings of the child when reviewing requests for relocation and determine whether or not the move will be in the child’s best interests.

The applicant’s parents may have to make a very difficult choice and reach an agreement with the other parent regarding their own migration if the application is rejected. They could feel loyal to a nation where they have few relatives or friends. This could occasionally result in that parent acting irrationally and taking the child away without asking the court for permission, forgetting their parental responsibility.

What do I do if my partner is going to take my child abroad without permission to relocate? 

If a parent relocates with a child without the other parent’s consent after divorce or separation or an order of the court then according to family law, the 1980 Hague Convention on Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction offers a remedy for the return of the abducted child.

Hague Convention

The 1980 Hague Convention on Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction provides a remedy for the return of the abducted kid if a parent relocates with a child abroad without the other parent’s agreement or court order.

An international agreement called the Hague Convention aims to ensure the return of kidnapped children across borders. One of the 101 signatories is the UK (as are most countries in Europe along with the US, Australia, and New Zealand). A request for the kid’s return under the Hague Convention may be made if the child is removed from one of the signatory states.

You should seek immediate legal counsel if you believe your kid may be in danger of being removed from the UK by their other parent because you may be able to secure protective measures and parental responsibility.

Solutions to ensure the parent doesn’t move abroad with children 

To stop the removal of children from the UK, the family law court has a broad range of authority. The court may issue an interdict, which is a directive barring the kid’s removal. It may also demand the return of passports and the disclosure of the location of the youngster. An interdict can be strengthened in cases of immediate danger by a UK-wide port stop order, which informs all airports and seaports of the potential for the child to be taken out of the country illegally.

Get help from our solicitor to avoid your partner to relocate with your child abroad

It is imperative that you obtain immediate legal advice to stop the potential removal of your kid from the UK rather than attempting to resolve the issue through the Hague Convention.